Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Caution - Radiation Area


June 22, 2010
Radiation starts tomorrow! Now they tell me that this will be a walk in the park compared to Chemotherapy so I'm hoping they are right. I only have to do ten sessions which is quite a bit less then expected. The dose is a lot lower then normal as well so this should mean that I have fewer side effects. My radiologist however kindly pointed out that so far I haven't been the poster child for side effects and so I should expect to be hit harder then usual. (most excellent .... grrrrrrrr) As my radiation is going to be on the my tonsil and one lymph node I should expect a soar throat and fatigue.
I went in last week for my 'radiation planning session' .. yes that is what they call it like its something exciting you just can't wait to plan for. I really wasn't sure what to expect as usual. I had my compadre Jeff with me though so that was some good back up. They take you in a room and basically you lie in a bed that goes through a machine that is like a CT Scan without hooking any IV or anything up to you. (thank goodness b/c needles and IVs and blood tests are really get old) I think I had the Motley Crew working on me that day b/c they didn't seem to quite know what they were doing which of course did not instill much confidence in me. They make a face mask especially fit to your face. Doesn't sound to bad now does it and actually how nice of them to make a face mask just for me. Hmmmmm I take it back...it sucked. They take out this rubbery material from hot water and mold it around your face (it is full of holes so you can still breath but barely) They pull it down around your face and then strap it to the table. Woweeeee. Now the day they did this I was still dealing with bad nausea from my last round of chemo and all I could smell was hot, yucky rubber. YACK!!!!!!! On top of that I am slightly claustrophobic and had to constantly talk myself through the fact I was breathing through small holes and had to keep my eyes closed. MMMM hmmmmmm daadddadadada what to think about, what to think about so I don't panic. Okay I'll admit it I thought about everything from my various travels to my ex boyfriends rippling muscles. (haha) Now he'll probably read this and get an inflated ego but its the truth the weirdest things pop into your head in those type of circumstances and I say whatever gets you through - go with it!!! Thank goodness for nice ripply tattooed boys. So I start that tomorrow and it will last for ten sessions so approximately two weeks and then I'm DONE....YIPEE!!!!!! Following that I have to redoe all my scans and make sure I'm all clear and then its just check-ups for the next five years and fingers crossed to relapses.
I've managed to get out a little bit the past couple of weeks but tire out pretty quickly. I think the fatigue will probably follow me for some time to come but I have started back on my holistic course and that will help me get back to normal faster. I also managed to have a massage last week which I have to say was 'fantabulous'.
July 17 we are having a celebration party for being done all the chemo and radiation....yipee!!! A nice chill fun night at Lola with all my favourite people that have surrounded me with there support, love and good vibes this past 8 months. More details to come on that soon.
Wish me luck tomorrow.........and I'll write again soon.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment