Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In Meghans Memory - Breast Cancer Awareness



*Today's link is to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation - there is some great information for us ladies on being breast aware and detecting changes in our breasts early*


A few months ago I was made aware of a friend of a friend's fight with Breast Cancer. I joined her blog and group page on Facebook and followed her journey. Her name was Meghan and she was a true inspiration to me as I was newly diagnosed with Cancer. She was diagnosed in the fall of 2008 and went through many ups and downs before losing her battle yesterday and passing away.


Although I have never met her, I was filled with great sadness and tears. She was so young, she went into this fight wanting and thinking she would win. She fought hard and went through many difficult times trying to win over the evil 'visitors'. Alas they won!! My heart ached with sadness last night for Meghan, her family and friends loss. I was also struck with thoughts of my own mortality. My prognosis is very good, my stage is only 1, I have a 90% cure rate but I'm still nervous. The simple fact is, 'I've had cancer or have it'. Once you've had cancer its never the same. You now know your body is capable of allowing the evil 'visitors' to overrule the good population and pollute it. No matter how positive or strong you are - its still scary.


I vow to continue to be strong, to continue to fight and to remember those who may have lost the fight before me and fight harder in there memory. I also join hands with those still fighting and those in remission. We must and can concur canSer.


In memory of those I've lost to cancer:

Iona Ovelson - Dear family friend

Grandma Felstead

Granda Young

Uncle Russ

Robyn Brown - High school friend
..and many more..


To those who have concurred cancer or are currently fighting your battle and given me many words of inspiration - this posts for you.
One Love,

B



2 comments:

  1. Meghan would be proud that you have taken such inspiration from her. Please remember though hun that Meg's cancer was only partially diagnosed at the start and was then upgraded to stage 4. There is no reason to believe that you will have the same journey. If anything Meg would want you to fight harder and have a positive outlook - I 100% believe that you will be fine :) Lots of love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hayley..I'm very positive about my journey.....just sometimes you get reflective. I'm a tough fighter..... ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete